Tuesday, November 27, 2012

If You Can't Buy it, Make It!

My boys love our flannel sheets we use in winter.  They care more about the seasonal print than they do the warmth of the flannel.  You can't find seasonal flannel sheets to fit a crib.  Thanks to Pinterest I have developed a very simple philosophy:  If you can't find it, make it.  I did just that.  Instead of hitting all the stores for electronic goods on Black Friday, I found myself at JoAnn's buying up fabric at great prices!  $1.47 a yard for flannel is the right price when you need 2 yards for each sheet.

I started with a fitted crib sheet tutorial from Dana Made It .  It is about as easy as any tutorial can be.  She has a few pictures of her steps.  I didn't take any pictures so if you're a visual person, like me, you'll want to check out her tutorial.  Here's a breakdown of the steps and pics of my final products.

What you'll need:
2 yards of fabric
2 yards of 1/4" wide elastic
Sewing necessities
30-45 minutes of time

Take your sheet and fold it in half.  Fold it in half again, making sure to line up your edges precisely.  Cut an 8x8" square out of the top corner with all the lose edges.  Next you want to  make your pockets for the corners of the mattress.  In each of the four corners you've cut out, line up the sides right sides together.  Sew them together to form the pocket.  Serge or zig zag stitch all the way around the edges to prevent fraying.  To make the casing for the elastic, iron down the edge of the fabric about a 1/3" all the way around. Sew it down all the way around leaving a 2 inch opening to thread the elastic.  Attach a safety pin on the end of the elastic and thread it through.  Once you get to the end, zigzag stitch it multiple times along the end so it holds.  Then close up the 2 inch opening.  Shift the sheet evenly around the elastic and put your made to order sheets on your mattress!


and....









First my first go at it, I couldn't be happier!  I tell you what, if there ever comes a time when I need to decorate another nursery, this gal is making EVERYTHING!!!  Why be limited by what's in the stores?  Not me!  Not anymore!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Love that fabric! It's too cute and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cute, and your post brought back old memories. I totally forgot about my winter sheets my mom used to put on my bed. They were flannel, but I can't remember the print. I better ask her. I wish we had pictures of them like you do. This will be a great memory refresher for your boys some day!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!! Family, Friends, Bloggers of all kinds. Thanks for letting me know you were here. Leave your link so I can visit too!