Friday, June 22, 2012

Run Run As Fast As You Can!I

In two weeks I turn 30.  I've had a lot of mixed emotions about this.  After some serious reflection, I am just thankful.  Many people do not reach that age and even though it's a new decade, bring it on.  I'm going to rock 30!  The hubs turned 30 back in December.  We decided to celebrate this milestone birthday with a little 7 day cruise to the Caribbean.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!  We are very grateful to have parents whom are willing to help watch the kids while we do this.


Now it's time to get real.  I'm not a person that likes feeling vulnerable, but here it is.  When we booked the cruise in January, I was not happy with how I looked in the mirror.  Is anyone?  I don't know.  I'd like to think so, but I wasn't.  My weight has fluctuated my whole life.  I can drop weight, but it has never been a balanced way with diet and exercise.  I call myself chubby.  I'm not overweight, but I am too meaty for my frame.  I was excited about the cruise, but was kind of freaking about the idea of bathing suit shopping and then wearing it in front of people.  Should I care what other people think?  NOT ONE BIT.  Do I?  More than I should.  I'm getting better with age.  Oh, glass of wine anyone?  Those are better with age too!  There's just something about a vacation that can freak a girl out!  We had been given a membership to the YMCA for Christmas.  I was avoiding it like the plague. This girl is lazy!!  I take care of toddler boys.  I didn't need to exercise too.  I didn't want to exercise.  I don't like to exercise.  Frankly, exercise is like a curse word to me.  I just don't say it.  Well, thank goodness my husband knows me because he threatened to cancel the membership if we didn't start going.  We signed up at the end of January but it was almost the end of February before he was able to drag my butt kicking and screaming (that's exercise right)? I didn't want to sign up for a class so I just walked the dreaded treadmill.  That first day I walked 42 minutes.  I remember it because it seemed like the longest 42 minutes of my life.  I told you, this girl is lazy.  Lazy girl means out of shape girl!  I did feel good afterwards, though.  Good for you Jeannie.  You walked 42 minutes without passing out.  To top it off, the boys really enjoyed playing in the childcare area.  Once I got over going the first time, I didn't mind to go back.

I decided after being able to walk a couple of miles, walking was boring.  I wanted to run.  Holy cow, did I just say that?  I wanted to be a runner.  My mother in law runs and I'd always thought she was crazy for it.  Whenever she'd talk about it I'd start to tune her out.  All of a sudden, I wanted to be like that too.  This lazy girl was turning into an athlete.  What is the world coming to?  After getting a pair of kick ass shoes, I started really going at it.  On April 1, I ran 21 minutes without needing to stop.  That was the day I was officially a runner.  I haven't looked back since.  May 19th I ran my first 5K.  I had a great friend run it with me and it felt great completing it!!  There is some discrepancy on when I finished.  My mother in law took a pic of the timer as I crossed the finish line and it showed 34:00, but my official time on the website shows 34:58:80.  I guess technically I have to go with that time, but either way, I was pumped!!  To go from doing nothing to running in 3 months, I was so proud of myself.  I have 3 more 5K's as part of the 4 leg Grand Slam.


Want to hear more fabulous news??  I look in the mirror now and I'm happy with what I see.  I'm not down but 8 lbs, but I'm down 1-2 pants sizes, depending on brand, and I've lost inches.  My body looks different. I went swimsuit shopping 2 weeks ago and didn't hate myself.  I was able to pull two suits off the rack, try them both on and bought them.  HOLY CRAP!!  Did that just happen??  I have never had that happen before.

Here's the biggest shocker of all.  The hubs called and told me about a half marathon/marathon in Charleston, SC in January.  We are signing up.  He did a half marathon back in May with the Derby Festival, but 4.5 has been my max to date.  That gives me about 6 months to train.  Oh my gosh!  I'm nervous thinking about it but excited too.  I have turned in to a different person.  Needless to say, there will be no worrying about how I look on the cruise.  I have earned it.  I feel so much better about myself and that is worth a million bucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Family, Friends, Bloggers of all kinds. Thanks for letting me know you were here. Leave your link so I can visit too!