What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think dress up? Tutu!!! Wait, is that not what you were thinking? Of course it was. What's more girly than a tutu? I had no idea how to make a tutu but I was going to make one. What else is girly for dressing up? A purse! As a kid and definitely as an adult, I love purses. She was absolutely getting a purse. Turns out, while at the store I got another idea. As kids, my sister and I loved playing dress up at my Aunt Lynn's. We play in her jewelry, shoes and purses. I needed to make her some jewelry too. So a little bit each night throughout last week, I got down to business. I didn't take any during pictures, but can give you a brief description of each.
Love how this purse turned out. I followed the same basic steps for my Kindle Clutch, I just added two straps. You place the straps between your outer piece and zipper when sewing.
I'm sure there are more detailed and better looking tutus out there. For me, I wanted something simple and easy. If a three year old was going to be handling it, I didn't want something delicate. I took the zebra print ribbon and measured around my boys to get the length I wanted. I marked where I wanted the tulle to start and end and still have a tail on each end for tying. I had 2 yards of tulle that were still folded over from how they were on the bolt at the fabric store. I just cut strips as close to even as I could. I held the ends together forming a loop. I bent my loop over the ribbon and pulled the ends of the tulle through the top loop. Looked like a slip knot when I was finished. I just alternated hot pink for soft pink until I reached my end mark. Simple as that!
I took plastic pearls I got in the kids craft section and some stretchy string to make little bracelets and a necklace. I measured my boys' wrists for the bracelets and eyeballed the necklace. Easy peasy!
For the skirts, I took the left over fabric from the purse, folded it over and stitched up the side. I cut off some of the length then folded the bottom over twice and hemmed it. I folded the top over twice, but it was a bigger fold. I stitched around leaving about an 1.5" opening to add elastic. Once I finished the elastic, I closed up the opening and viola!
Here's the whole collection. I hope she enjoys playing with it all as much as I loved making them all :)