Thursday, June 7, 2012

China Cabinet of Awesomeness


I told you about the steal I found on craigslist...a $60 China Cabinet. It was something out of the early 80's with someone's attempt at sprucing it up, with turquoise trim. Hideous? Yes. But my good fortune!! Here's a reminder.

Yup, ugly, but such potential. I knew I wanted to do something different with her (yes, she's a she!) since I was revamping my dining room. I wanted to get rid of the wire things in the side windows and also remove the hideous gold with black flecks background. I know nothing says modern and chic like gold with black flecks, but it had to go!

I took it apart and got to work. My dining room was going green and I wanted it to be sophisticated so I knew I needed to find awesome fabric to make curtains. I decided after seeing some cool furniture reno's that I wanted to have fabric as my background. My favorite color is turquoise so when I found this awesome fabric that allowed me to tie in the green using turquoise, I couldn't be more excited!! This was my inspiration:


The green matched the color I picked for the dining room, it was predominately turquoise plus had some awesome plum in it. I mean, who doesn't love a splash of purple??

I have an awesome dad who knows people and got me some primer and paint for my cabinet so all I had to out of pocket for the project was the $60 and $40 on fabric, but the $40 included the fabric I made the curtains from. Not too shabby!! I busted out my ipod, put Mumford & Sons on repeat and spent 3 days removing screws, painting, adding the fabric, then replacing the screws. Here's the in progress.
Here are the gold handles before silver spray paint
****
See that turquoise up close? This is pre-primer.
****

Now see how much better that looks??
****

Here's the top painted, before the fabric is put over the awesome gold backer
****

It's laying down so I can stand in it and put the fabric down with glue.
****

I was happy with how it turned out. I had intentions of antiquing it with black glaze but I loved the stark white against the fabric and also the green walls. It's not perfect by any means, but I'm super proud of it and extremely happy with how it turned out!! Here she is in all her Awesomeness!!!



You know you love it!! (minus the pumpkin!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!! Family, Friends, Bloggers of all kinds. Thanks for letting me know you were here. Leave your link so I can visit too!